Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Rant From The Underground by: Michael Grover

An editor of a zine recently admitted to me that he chose a poem that was pretty average over mine as a favor to a friend. This is no suprise it just confirmed what I already knew, the underground press is just as corrupt as the mainstream. This thing that should be an alternative to mainstream publishing is just as bad if not worse. They did not mention who this person was, but I can look at the list of people published in their next issue and take a pretty good guess. Am I the only one that is sick of seeing the same names, and the same watered down crap for poems by them? The same shock & awe sex & violence, because they know that's what is marketed to the american people? If not then the same formulated safe lame style? And these poems are not even there because they are good. I must say this works pretty good if you are one of those people, but for the rest of us it is just another flawed corrupt american system.
At this point in my rant I'm sure a lot of you are wondering what the point is, or if I'm just gonna bitch and be bitter and pissed off about it. Yes, talk is cheap, the question is "What am I gonna do about it?" I am doing my part and if you agree with what I'm saying I would urge each of you to do yours. I'm not saying we can change this whole damn system, let them have it. What we can do is create our own systems where their rules don't matter. This is my contribution let's see yours http://covert.poetics.googlepages.com/home.

No comments: