Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What is one's blogsphere of influence?

Hello. Is there anybody there? Thanks for the elbow room Michael. I never thought I'd do this, and here I am. Feels wonderful to engage in dialogue in cyberspace, who'd a thought it?
I really wanted to chime in when I saw your last post, because I have been thinking of this subject a lot lately. I want to say how very right you are Michael. We have to follow are own senses and tastes, as artists this is absolutely crucial. Only then can we move further away from these near fictitious gate keepers of literature and what they want to market and who they want to fund. There is a need for a free space of our own creation with no need for "commercial" validation. Nor do we need the halls of academia dictating taste, whether they be new formalists or language poets.
It is in this interest that I'd like to attempt to pose a question for our discussion. Is Free verse true freedom or a lazy crafts persons way out? I know what I think, but I want to know what others think.

1 comment:

M.D.G. said...

Free verse is free man. There is nothing lazy about it. It is a totally different concept that says that each poem can stand on it's own and create its own structure. I was recently reading a book of haiku by Michael McClure where he said the first thing he had to do was free it from its structure. His haiku really is all over the place, sometimes they are eight lines long, I still write structured haiku, but nothing else. Yep that's what I have to say. And about the magazine it is all cool. They are publishing me in their next issue, so it works out. Just takes patience.