Monday, January 21, 2008

Structure

D-Man, nice to see you around. It's not as cold here in the sunshine state, but just as dreary on this MLK Day. Cloudy, and windy,some rain mixed in.
I've been movin' in the other direction away from structure. More than before if that is at all possible. Anyone who knows me, knows I do have a big problem with rules and structure and that is reflected in my attitude toward Poetry. For christmasI got a gift certificate for amazon so I picked up a couple of Michael McClure books. Man I thought I rebelled against structure. This cat really rebels against structure, and is totally reforming the way I look at Poetry. I don't know what the impact willbe because I am still going through this phase, but it's gonna impact my Poetry more than anything has in years. One thing that will stay the same is haiku. I've written thousands of haiku, all to the rhythm of five, seven, five and I find it a comfortable rhythm. Even though the argument could be made that Japanese sylables are shorter than English ones, I just find this rhythm relaxing. If you read McClure's haiku they are scattered all over some of them eight lines long. The only thing that is pretty universal is that each line is short and breath like. For now I am gonna stick to the structure of haiku, it works forme, and I see no reason to change it. So I'll keep goin' till I do.

No comments: